Wednesday 25 July 2007

Global warming

So, im standing at a bus stop waiting for a bus when i get to meet this charming old man.

Now dont get me wrong folks. Im not one for talking to strange drunk men, but this one got to talk to me before getting drunk, what a nice bloke.

Anyway, after talking to him i thought i wuold get round to my global warming blog.

Some interesting facts:

There are 7 billion people on this planet and if we all had cars, and fridges and all the other stuff we had to get rid of due to global warming - i mean really maxed out, we would only make up 18% of this planets total o2 immisions.

34% comes from land - all those bubbling vocanos and caves etc

and the daddy of the all is the sea! 48%!!!!

...and sadly i cant remember where the other 10% went but it was minimal and nothing could be done about it anyway.

But when i was a kid the weather was nothing like it was today. I remember regular snow in winter. I remember cold autumns. But then i remember lots of things.

One of the things i remember was the map of the world. huge patches of lush green lands accross our great global landscape. And today i saw a map with not so many green bits! You know we have wiped out so many trees globally its a miracle we dont look like Mars. We were flattening trees across the globe before we long before we all knew what a rain forest was, or what it did, or how it played its part in maintaining our delicate planetary system. We have wiped out some of the oldest tress in the world for crops and roads and cities and factories. and well, just to change the view! we have hacked away at trees in the last 200 years as if they were going out of fashion and i think its safe to say (thinking of our recent floods) its cost us big time!

Deserts getting bigger, all that ice melting - the face of this planet is in the process of change and there is nothing we can do about it, well we could. And in fact, as this is my blog and i can rant all i like, i shall say, instead of sending our fine troops to pointless wars in dusty desert lands, why not send them to fend for unprotected forests? why not have them develop a military plan for replanting? Instead of telling people about doing something about the 8% they are producing now.

And dont even get me started on global dimming!

Remember Dinosaurs? As i recall they started eating a lot of trees too and they got hit not only by a meteor, but there was also a plum earthquake that also set of the blackening of the sky lasting longer than the effects of the meteor. (told you i was a geek)

I believe gods once walked this planet, the dinosaurs and probably a few other things as well. the the ones that have lasted are remembered in some way. Gods in stories and worship, Dinosaurs in rock and Barney. How will we be remembered when we are no more? will we be known as the ones who thought we could stop a change, but didnt think we could create one.

who knows. Blog possibly.lol

Hope you are all well you wonderful people. Even you baldy.

9 comments:

Holly said...

So were you talking to this bloke about Global warming then?!

See, they go on about how much 'we' as in people are causing global warming but in fact its the sea and land! I'm all for saving the planet...I don't have a car, I recycle, save electricity/gas la la la but it really isn't going to make that much difference, well I don't think anyway!

The Silent Observer said...

Moo
Wow moo you are becoming quite a regular. Always happy to see you and you are always welcome.

Like you im all for waving the planet and i think your right, we cant do anything about it except plant trees - with all the oxygen they produce, they are the earths cooling system.

And bless you for the recycle thing too, i hold my hands up and confess i cant be arsed to deal with my rubbish to that extent but bless the people that do. I do plant tress thought.lol

(and heres where i show im weird)I plant trees, anywhere and everywhere and at every available opportunity. from seeds to cuttings to large branches - parks, wastelands and anywhere else i think they will be allowed to grow.

oh and yes, i was talking to this bloke about global warming.lol
it was im that told me about fridges. Apparently they have a large CO2 canister at the back that does to cooling, which is still there when we throw our fridges away and still leaks the CO2. - Is why councils have to dispose of them properly instead of leaving them in abondoned fields.

..According to my new drunk mate at the bus stop anyway.

Kahless said...

SO, do you remember the summer of 76; absolutely glorious. And a hose-pipe ban in a decade where it was a rare occurence.

Re-cycling isnt difficult. Go one, have a go. Why not start with all those wine bottles and beer cans?

Holly said...

I am arent I! I agree with Kahless, get recycling! Its not difficult although I do find taking empty bottles to a bottle bank most incovenient!

Oh, and hope you dont mind but I've linked you to my blog :-)

The Silent Observer said...

Kahless
I do remember the days before the hose-pipe ban. and snow in december. My memory isnt quite as clear as remembering the summer of 76 but i know that to be the year i got in the chest with a dart, the first time - boyz and there games.lol

I dont remember the labour government of that time but i do remember wishing my mom and dad knew more people like Peters and Lee.

I remember people like Citizen Smith being real, and students being easy to identify.

I remember Castro being a popular face and communism being a real pain in the arse for the west. And president carter looking like a nice man.

I remember Thin lizzy and kate bush being awesome.

And i too wanted a capri instead of a ford avenger.

ok, you got me, late 70s then.lol

The Silent Observer said...

Moo
thank you for the addition, hope its ok to add you too. i would have normally done you by now have been so busy. I will though and soon.

...did that sound right?lol I would have normally added you by nowe i mean. (blush)

The Silent Observer said...

TO YOU BOTH
I could say i will start recycling right away or i coud tell the truth.

I will consider it and if it fits then i shall wear the recycle coat with pride.

Holly said...

Yes, jump on the band wagon and getting seperating your foil from yer plastic!!

Silent O, I do believe you meant the latter, added me err not done me! ;-/

Kahless said...

Hi SO,

I remember the winter of discontent and the candles.

CS - power to the people!

Capri - not an essex boy eh?