Sunday 22 July 2007

This last few days

Ya know folks i have had a quiet few days. well, sort of. but they have been quiet. Went to a conference, where i go to soak up more information (yep! im a geek.lol).

Got to see old friends - and may i say, Hi, you looked well QV, good luck in your coming years, sorry i didnt say goodbye - you know me and crowds, and i wish you love and happiness to you and yours.

I got to shake my thang on the dance floor - now that was rare, people would pay good money to see that i can tell you!

I got to relive my teenage rock years.

I got to prove that i am brilliant again on a small number of occasions

I got to see others being brilliant too.

And as i return to life following my essay hell. i see the world is a changing place. Nothing is the same as it was and we are not who we used to be.

I feel we have missed something along the way that once made us great and it felt like a step forward. i feel we used to live in a world that cared, in world where thoughts counted, where feelings counted, where action counted. Do you remember the days when being a Myrtr ment something? me too, where did they go? there was a time when if a person set fire to themselves on the steps of london, as a nation, we stopped in our tracks and listened to why and gave support to the beliefs of someone who felt they had to do such a thing to prove a point. I remember the days when a rally was a right to protest, and was seen as such; as opposed to today where only subversives do that kind of thing.

I remember a time when what we had was creative spark. something completely new would come out and amaze the world. A time when tried and tested hard work was the only thing that made it through the ranks of talent, as opposed to "you look like a star", come and play this formula.

I remember a time when we as a people could move mountains by our sheer will to do so.

I remember a time when we had time.

But i look and see a snapshot world of short attention span, of care-less attitudes, of what kind of idiot sets fire to themselves. A world where formula is written into history and set in stone. But no one cares anymore so the stone becomes irrelavant. I rememeber when great art ment something, when great singers ment something, when ideas where created with, and dilivered with passion, and from the heart and from what we new to be great minds.

Where are those days? why did they go? why did we let them go?

What am i saying? i guess im saying that i feel we live in a world of plastic and not substance.

I miss the old world. - god bless the 70s

9 comments:

Holly said...

The old world is gone, so enjoy the new one!

Oh, Hi by the way, came via JJ!

The Silent Observer said...

Without the old world, their would be no Paul Weller. Its not that gone.lol

I shall bide my time till we have a new world of substance. till then i shall sit and quietly critic the glossy one we have at the moment. - it will change, it must.

Hello by the way, have seen you about Moo. glad you came. :o)

RubyShooZ said...

Wow, what a ponderous post!

I am glad I showed up here. My brain is a bit foggy at the moment so I don't have anything to contribute to this post but it's one I'm going to come back to and read again - and maybe again. :)

Nice read and thanks for making us think.

Holly said...

This is true Silent, where would be without Paul eh!?

"I've seen you about".....hmmmm scary!! lol ;-0

Kahless said...

Surely you were still in nappies in the 70's?

The Silent Observer said...

Rubyshooz :o)

Hey lovely to see you again,how are you? so glad you came. have been verybusy recently so went a bit quiet but am making a come back.

Come back as and when, you are always welcome here. :o)

The Silent Observer said...

Moo
mr Wellers not bad...

lol, now the scary bit made me giggle. Harmless me. But iam Silent O :o)

The Silent Observer said...

Kahless
sshh....
How far back do you think im going?

I remember the 70s well enough to understand that although itseemed like very much a non-era. It was actually atimewhenthe boundries of ideas were pushed to there limits. the 70s was a great period to grow up in. for many wrong reasons and many good ones too.

I remember the 70s well. :o)

Anonymous said...

Well written article.